It has always been free for developers and individuals to use the OpenAI API key. With this key, you can perform various tasks, including training your dataset and creating your OpenAI-powered apps and services. OpenAI officially launched its API to the public in March 2023, which uses GPT-3.5, and also has limited access to GPT-4 for some handful of developers.
It’s a good idea to start building something powered by AI, as many daily apps and services are starting to integrate it. With those capabilities, they provide flexibility to users. You can also get access to the OpenAI API key for free, and we have step-by-step instructions along with well-thought-out things you need to know and consider while proceeding. Without further ado, let’s get into this.
What is OpenAI API?
It’s important to know what an API is. It stands for Application Programming Interface, which comes with a set of rules, protocols, and tools that allow developers to establish communication between their apps or service server and OpenAI. In simple terms, it acts like a bridge between two software programs. Once the communication has been set up, developers can use the OpenAI functionality and don’t need to build something like OpenAI, which has already invested a ton of money and resources into developing it. OpenAI API allows you to leverage OpenAI. In this article, we will learn how to get OpenAI API and how to use the OpenAI API key.
Is OpenAI API Free?
The company does grant free credit worth $18, which you can use to test and create, but it does expire after 3 months. However, after you spend all your free credit, you need to add a balance to purchase tokens from OpenAI Billion. Generally, $0.02 is used for 1000 tokens. To check how much you need to purchase tokens, here is the guide.
Check How many tokens I Need to Purchase
- Open the OpenAI Tokenizer Tool.
- Then, enter the characters you are processing.
- In real time, it will share the number of tokens you need for the number of characters you entered.
- That’s it.
With OpenAI, you can use the OpenAI’s GPT (Generative Pre-Trained Transformer) model, which has been trained on a vast amount of data and can help you generate content. The company’s approach to not making it open source, but instead commercializing it, helps the company pay for AI R&D and expand.
How to Use OpenAI API Key
Before learning how to use the API, we need to obtain the OpenAI API Key. Follow the instructions below to get started.
Create or Get an OpenAI Key
Note: ChatGPT or Playground may not be fully unlocked, but with an API key, you can access many more features.
- Visit the OpenAI API page on your browser and click on Sign-up.
- Use your OpenAI account to log in, or create an account if you don’t have one.
- Click on your profile icon in the upper-right corner.
- Select the API key from the drop-down menu.
- That’s it!
How to Generate an OpenAI API Key
Once you arrive at the OpenAI API key page, you need to create an API key.
- On the API Key page, you already have one Secret Key.
- Click on “+ Create New Secret Key” and give it a name. It’s optional, but it’s better to name it to remember.
- Next, click on Create Secret Key, and it will generate a Secret Key for you.
- Copy the Secret Key by clicking on the Copy icon. You can’t copy the Secret Key after this, so save it somewhere safe.
- Hit Done.
How to Use the OpenAI API Key
There are several ways to use the OpenAI API key, and it depends on the project you are working on. We will explain how it works, and anyone can use the OpenAI API Key.
- Now, install the essential SDK or Library required for your language to access the OpenAI key.
- You may also need to install several packages like npm or pip.
- After this, from the OpenAI API Key page under Account Manager, you need to create a new instance of the API. If you want to use the previous API Keys, you can also do so based on your preferences.
- Create an environment by developing apps or services around the OpenAI Key. Once you finish the setup, test it.
- Try calling out ChatGPT API, and it will respond within a few seconds of submitting the prompt.
If you find trouble or it’s not working, then check your Token usage. If your token expires, it won’t work. Miss Ania Kubów has shared an interesting tutorial on How to use OpenAI API. For practice, you can start building small projects, which will help you understand how OpenAI API works.
Apart from this, you will find several project ideas and courses online. Additionally, you can also use your OpenAI API key on Hugging Face, where you will find different datasets designed for specific tasks. So do check out also to understand and discover the possibilities of the OpenAI AGL model.
With the OpenAI API, you can perform any task by leveraging the OpenAI Modes and can use your dataset to train your AI. Ahead of self-deploying, you can test or experiment with your program over OpenAI Playground.
Note: It’s worth mentioning that OpenAI may not work due to the wrong configuration or in case of an outage, which you can check here.
Also, if you have been encountering an issue, then do check for typos in your API key. Ensure you are not using an API from a different organization for your AI project and don’t have a deactivated, deleted, or changed key.
OpenAI’s GPT-4 and GPT-3 for Free – Unlimited
Reportedly, a developer has successfully exploited the OpenAI API to get access to their latest AGL Model GPT-4, which he does publish on GitHub. This gives access to OpenAI Models, including the GPT-4 and GPT 3.5, for free, and anyone can use them an infinite number of times. The company does charge for its API access, which goes from a base price of $0.03 per 1000 tokens for GPT-4 and $0.06 per 1000 Tokens. For this, the developer performed reverse engineering, and it’s worth mentioning that it wasn’t an easy job at all.
Note: It’s not a viable option, and it also voids the OpenAI Terms of Service. The company will fix this, so it may not work for the entirety of your life.